Wednesday 22 August 2012

A Promise is a ...

I've mentioned showing some very old work from the late 70's which I thought I had lost. The originals were ...... good question, but the answer is I have no idea, and although I thought all the prints long gone destroyed, when I had a partial roof collapse, which resulted in rain damage to a lot of stuff in a back room.

However, as mentioned, two examples of my version of trying to draw a set of pictures based on "The Hobbit" survive, even if in 'poor' condition, and as I keep on saying I will show them .... Well, here they are. Sadly the picture quality is also dreadful [don't ask it's cringe making to recount], but as it may be next month before I have the opportunity to re-shoot for better quality, thought it sensible to at least give you all an 'idea' of what they look like. But don't forget to squint, lean to the left, and try for a following wind to see them better.

The first is of Gandulf.

The second picture shows the first meeting of Bilbo and Gollum.
As I've 'said' these were originally drawn back in the mid to late '70's as part of a small series of A3 prints. The runic lettering is based on Tolkien's own and can, for those who want to, be translated. As can the lettering on my 'Dwarf-Land' map [see last post].

Finally, while working in Papua New Guinea in the early '80's I picked up a couple of commissions, and here below is one such example. 
The subject, if memory serves, but I'm often told it doesn't, the subject was training for the local rugby club in Goroka, Eastern Highlands Province. To add explanation. In PNG rugby is played as 'touch' rugby only, This is because 'proper' rugby often resulted in torn ears and worse. I only ever witnessed one such game between our college students and an other college. It resulted in a mass pitch invasion, a riot , and we staff looking to round up our students many who had to go into hiding from the clamouring mob. Why all the fuss? Our college was winning. 

Also, an end paper design from the 'latest' for Goodman Games to round up this short post.

Next some more oldies from the 1970's. Do any of you remember a very good fan magazine called 'Anduril' ?.
 

11 comments:

  1. The commission shows you could have contributed easily to MAD, CRAZY, or CRACKED magazines during their 70's heydays. Keep the contributions coming. I love checking in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chuck and I hope you continue to do so!

      Delete
  2. Ha, I love the carnage in that last one! But they're all pretty swell pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last piece is amazing Russ, it reminds me of the work you did to the first few pages of 'The Trolltooth Wars' I used to look at that picture for hours; wondering how you managed to fit all the action in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim, The 'Trolltooth Wars' pictures were done as large piece but this [the end paper] was done as two separate pieces and then touched up and joined in Photoshop. If you like I can post the two 'original' pages so you can see the detail better. As to how I 'see it' to fit in all the action. Well although my work is stylised I tend to think of the 'scene' cinematically or 'real'. In this case I was given carte blanche so was able to play with what I wanted to show happening.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic stuff. I prefer your simpler, single-character (or monster) stuff, but the detail is stunning too. How do you do your large areas of black? Brush or marker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your praise, and as to what I do, it depends on the commission really.
      In answer to your question to how I do large areas of black it's by pen or by brush [usually 'aged' ink as fresh ink is often not effective], and as for using a marker ..... ugh! Wash your mouth out with soup.
      I can't say 'soap' as that would be cruel... he he.

      Delete
  5. Your Gandalf is just awsome ! I realy appreciate your magic filaments tangle and curl spiral... You should teach us one day how you do that !
    I'm looking forward you scan or re-shoot this artwork in better quality to appreciate all the details ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Gandalf is just awsome ! I realy appreciate your magic filaments tangle and curl spiral... You should teach us one day how you do that !
    I'm looking forward you scan or re-shoot this artwork in better quality to appreciate all the details ...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.